Friday, July 9, 2010

Silver of the Week - 7/5/10

Driving the Persian hoard into the sea at Marathon:

My favorite silver of this week is a set of fractional bullion coins that hearken back to the most basic foundations of Western liberty, government, and mindset - the ancient Greeks and their citizen soldiers, the Hoplites. I wrote my senior thesis for my history degree on how Greek culture shaped their brand of warfare on the battlefield, so I could go on for quite a while, but I'll spare you and show the shiny stuff:



These 1/2 ounce, 1/4 ounce, and 1/10 ounce .999 silver fractionals are called "sovereign silver", which is appropriate on several levels. I actually don't know what company actually manufactures them, but they are available here: http://thesilvermerchants.com/buy-silver/100-ounce-sovereign-fractional-set

(I have never done business with the website they are sold on, so I in no way recommend or endorse it - hopefully they are a good dealer because I think I need some!)

2 comments:

  1. These are really interesting coins. Thanks for the history on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jade - I think the classical coin style we used to have on Morgans, Peace Dollars, etc. is due for a revival. No more "hero-worship" President coins.

    ReplyDelete